Media Consultant / Senior Media Consultant
Location: Central Brighton
Terms: Full-time, permanent
Salary: £27-36k basic plus profit share scheme
Target start date: Now
About Red Setter
Red Setter is the leading PR and new business agency for the creative industries. Based in Brighton’s North Laine, our team of 20 senior marketers and PR professionals work with some of the world’s best creative agencies helping them grow their reputations and win major new accounts with global brands.
Our clients are all creative agencies, delivering advertising, branding, packaging, marketing and digital to a wide range of sectors from FMCG to property, retail, professional services, leisure, travel, financial services, and public sector. They include the largest global groups, the best of the new generation of London agencies, and a growing number of NYC agencies. We are partners with the industry body, the Design Business Association. We know this sector, and are well known in it as the people to go to when an agency wants to grow its reputation or client base.
We take a different approach to many traditional PR agencies – working with the UK’s best feature writers to produce outstanding editorial for our clients, and integrating our campaigns with new business activity – and we get outstanding results.
In just the past few months our clients have been featured in national newspapers such as The Guardian, City AM, and The Times, consumer media like Stylist and The European, leading trade titles such as The Grocer, Drinks Business, and Property Week, and all our own sector press like Design Week, The Drum, Campaign, It’s Nice That, and Transform.
We lose few clients and win a steady stream of new ones through recommendation and referral. We’ve built a strong foundation – a solid client base, a fantastic team, and a reputation as the people to speak to when you want to grow your agency – and over the next 3-5 years we plan to build on this with significant expansion of our team in Brighton, London and NYC.
About the role
We are looking to hire a Media Consultant or Senior Media Consultant (perhaps you are currently a senior account executive/account manager or business/national journalist looking for a new role) who will take the lead on gaining media coverage for an existing group of clients. This person will take their stories and gain them coverage in leading business titles and national newspapers, as well as in the marketing and design media.
Specific tasks will include:
1) Writing news releases
– Receiving briefings from our clients on their work
– Writing news releases, editing through approval stages, and making all final copy checks
– Compiling all imagery
2) Issuing news releases
– Using our media database to build news release distribution lists
– Issuing by email and managing response
– Making follow-up calls to gold list media targets and developing opportunities for coverage
3) Producing comment pieces
– Identifying news stories on which our clients could comment
– Writing comment pieces
– Pitching to selected media to achieve coverage
4) Finding and creating media opportunities
– Building strong relationships with key journalists
– Pitching in article ideas
– Contributing client comments for articles
5) Supporting Account Director
– Working closely with your AD to deliver to an established and growing client base
This position will suit someone who has experience of B2B PR or business/national journalism, and is looking to take the next step up to become one of our core PR team.
Please note this is a fundamental requirement – only apply if you can demonstrate a strong track record of success in B2B PR or business/national journalism.
Above all else you need to be a strong writer who loves hunting out PR opportunities, talking to journalists, building relationships with them and delivering exciting media ideas for clients.
You will have a good academic degree, and a sharp, enquiring and flexible mind that will love the challenge of working across so many sectors, ideas, and people.
The successful candidate will:
– be able to rapidly produce accurate, engaging editorial for national newspapers, leading business titles, and the marketing and design media
– love working with journalists to deliver brilliant coverage for clients
– have a positive, fun, can-do attitude and ability to fit into a small, happy team
– a passion for design
What we offer
The annual basic salary is £27-36k dependent on experience. On top of this you will become eligible to join our profit share scheme. We also offer a company pension scheme, childcare vouchers, and 25 days paid holiday plus the day off on your birthday.
This is a role with exciting scope for growth and you will have a strong sense of ownership being part of a buzzy PR team. Since we established the company in Brighton in 2012 we have achieved an average of 50% annual turnover growth, and we plan to continue that expansion. This will create opportunities for the right people to develop and grow with us.